Friday, August 2, 2013

Oh, yes... and if...


I just completed my 1st year as a Seller on ETSY.  For those of you who may not know what that is, Etsy is an e-commerce website that has been around since 2005, focused on handmade or vintage items as well as art and craft supplies.  The name of the company is derived from the word “etsi” which means “oh, yes” in Italian, and it means “and if” in Latin.

In retrospect, those 2 words describe my experience perfectly!!  There were many “Oh, Yes!!” moments, like my first sale to a lady in Kentucky… and then there was my largest order: 40 candles! That order went to a sweet lady in Boston just a few days after the Marathon bombing.  I have had the pleasure of “meeting” so many nice people from all over our country and the world thru Etsy.  A few months into my adventure, I set a goal of making 50 sales by my one-year mark & I actually ended up with 57 sales…”Oh, Yes!!”

And that’s where the “and if” comes in.  I review all my stats for the year, and set my goals for my 2nd year.  It’s a bit loftier, “and if” I work hard (really, really hard) I can do it!  In setting the new goal, my first thought was just double that number.  But after much soul-searching, I realized that’s not good enough.  I can do better than that -- so I decided to not double, or even triple my goal for this year… I quintupled it.  Yes 250 sales is my goal for this year!! 

In the words of John Lennon, “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one!”

No comments:

Post a Comment